Dr. Greg Welch is the AdventHealth Endowed Chair in Healthcare Simulation at the University of Central Florida College of Nursing. He is also the co-director of the UCF Synthetic Reality Laboratory. He holds additional faculty appointments in the Department of Computer Science at the UCF College of Engineering and Computer Science and in the UCF Institute for Simulation & Training. Professor Welch is also a distinguished UCF Pegasus Professor – the university’s highest faculty honor.
Dr. Welch has co-authored more than 100 publications, and is a co-inventor on multiple patents. He has co-chaired conferences, workshops, and seminars; served on numerous international program committees. His current research interests include virtual and augmented reality, motion tracking systems, 3D telepresence, and stochastic estimation, with applications to training and education.
Prior to coming to UCF, Dr. Welch was a research professor at UNC. He also worked on the Voyager Spacecraft Project at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory and on airborne electronic countermeasures at Northrop-Grumman’s Defense Systems Division.
- PhD in Computer Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- MS in Computer Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- BS in Electrical Engineering Technology with Highest Distinction, Purdue University
Associate Editor for Journals
- Presence: Teleoperators and Virtual Environments
- Frontiers in Virtual Environments
Selected Boards & Committees
- World Economic Forum, Global Future Councils, Council on Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality.
- International Virtual Reality and Healthcare Association, Founding member.
- International Symposium for Mixed & Augmented Reality, Steering Committee, Emeritus.
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards, Futures Task Force.
- Florida Hospital East Orlando Simulation Center, Steering Committee.
Selected Awards & Honors
- 2018 IEEE Virtual Reality Technical Achievement Award
- 2017 UCF Luminary Award
- 2017 UCF Research Incentive award
- 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality’s Long Lasting Impact Paper Award
- Member of UCF Chapter of National Academy of Inventors
- Multiple paper awards
- Multiple keynote addresses
Videos and Media
How These Six Technologists Find Inspiration
Gregory Welch Named 2020 Pegasus Professor
National Defense Magazine