Post-Master’s Online Nursing PhD
Led by Faculty Experts at UCF
Contribute to nursing’s future with a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Nursing degree from UCF. The online nursing PhD program will prepare you for a career at the forefront of nursing science where you’ll contribute to the body of knowledge and test theories, and lead research in the application of innovative strategies for clinical care and nursing education.
The doctoral program in nursing prepares nurse scholars to possess a body of knowledge about theory, processes and methods of inquiry in the discipline of nursing. The program allows students to contribute to disciplinary and interdisciplinary knowledge in nursing and healthcare from the basis of sound conceptual, methodological, and ethical decision-making.
|Deadlines:||Apply by March 1 for Fall|
|Program Length:||Full-time (11 semesters); Part-time (15 semesters)|
|Program Type:||Online with two intensives per year|
|Credit Hours:||63 (effective 2020-2021)|
* If interested in university Fellowships, apply by December 1.
High Quality. Low Cost.
Expertise of nationally recognized faculty.
Convenience and flexibility of UCF Online.
Now at a lower cost with reduced tuition through fee waivers for some campus-based amenities.
Distinguished UCF Faculty. Esteemed UCF Degree.
Options Designed for Working Professionals Like You.
To apply to this program, you will need to meet the following:
- You fulfill the general UCF graduate admissions requirements (see Admissions section of the UCF Graduate Catalog).
- You are a licensed RN in the state in which you practice.
- You have an MSN and BSN degree from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent (students without a MSN degree should refer to the BSN to PhD in Nursing program)
- You completed the GRE within the last five years
- Your research interests match faculty expertise.
Please note: Online programs do not meet immigration requirements for students holding an F1 or J1 Visa to maintain status. If you have questions, please contact UCF Global at global.ucf.edu or call 407-823-2337.
The UCF Nursing PhD curriculum is delivered online with two multiple-day onsite intensives per year.
The program requires a minimum of 63 credit hours beyond a master’s degree in nursing. This includes:
- 39 credit hours of required courses that focus on foundational knowledge development, and research methods and experiences;
- 15 dissertation credit hours; and
- 9 credit hours of supporting courses that develop student expertise in the area chosen for their dissertation. PhD students are encouraged to seek out interdisciplinary supporting courses.
Yes, you may pursue the Nursing PhD program at UCF from any location, both within or outside of Florida.
Note the Nurse Licensure Compact does not apply to PhD programs.
Visit our Doctoral Admissions page for details on the application process and requirements.
Please note: The College of Nursing accepts the most qualified students based on evaluations of the applicant’s abilities, past performance, recommendations and match of UCF research areas with applicant’s career goals.
Years of PhD Graduates
Online PhD Program in Florida for Nurse Scientists
Dissertations = Making an Impact