Dr. Bushy is the Bert Fish Endowed Chair in Community Health Nursing. Her research focus is on rural health and rural nursing issues, including community/public health nursing in rural communities. Dr. Bushy lived and worked with Native Americans on Reservations, and has published works on the health issues of women in rural areas, cyber education, homelessness, home care, rural health care ethics, and the social determinants and health disparities among residents in less populated and remote geographical communities. She currently serves on the national Veterans Rural Health Advisory Committee that advises U.S. Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert McDonald.
Dr. Bushy’s career spans more than four decades; among her important achievements, she was invited to represent rural perspectives in The U.S. Surgeon General’s Invitational Workshops on Women’s Mental Health and Action Agenda for the Health of Women and Girls Beyond 2010; served as a member on expert panels to set a national agenda in health, research, and advocacy for rural women’s issues; and retired from the U.S. Army Reserve Nurse Corps (LTC Ret.) after more than 20 years of service.
Dr. Bushy continues to be an active researcher as well as a nationally and internationally recognized authority on rural health care scholarship. She is a recipient of the prestigious Anna Mae Ericksen Award, given for exemplary scholarship commitment, dedication, leadership and advocacy in rural nursing, presented at the International Rural Health and Rural Nursing Research Conference at Bozeman, Montana in July, 2014.
Promoting Rural Health Clinic Performance for the Chronically Ill Elderly, Co-Investigator, National Institutes of Health, National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities ($1,836,866).
- Bushy, A. (2016). Population-centered nursing in rural and urban environments. In M. Stanhope & J. Lancaster (Eds.), Public health nursing: Population-centered health care in the community (9th ed., pp. 422-441). Elkridge, MD: Mosby/Elsevier.
- Bushy, A. & Harkness, G. (2016). Epidemiology of health and illness. In Saucier-Lundy, K. (Ed.) Community health nursing: Caring for the public health (3rd Ed., pp. 111-131). Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett Publishers.
- Bushy, A. (2016). Vulnerability: An overview. In Saucier-Lundy, K. (Ed.) Community health nursing: Caring for the public health (3rd ed., pp. 669-674). Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett Publishers.
- LaManna, J.M., Bushy, A., Norris, A.E, & Chase, S.K. (2016). Early and intermediate hospital-to-home transition outcomes of older adults diagnosed with diabetes. Diabetes Educator, 42(1), 72-86.
- Bushy, A. (2014). Rural health and migrant health. In M. Stanhope & J. Lancaster (Eds.) Foundations of community health nursing: Community-oriented practice (4th ed., pp. 389-407). Elkridge, MD: Mosby/Elsevier.
- Bushy A. (2014). Health care ethics in rural public health. In Warren J. (Ed). Rural public health: Best practices and preventative models (pp. 41-54). New York, NY: Springer.
- Bushy, A. (2013). Community health nursing in rural areas. In Smith, C., & Maurer, F. Community health nursing: Theory and practice (5th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders.
- Bushy, A. (2013). Connecting the dots: Nursing workforce development, clinical practice, research and theory. In C. Winters (Ed.) Rural nursing: Concepts, theory and practice (5th ed.). New York, NY: Springer.
- Bushy, A. (2013). Risk, vulnerability, social determinants and health disparities in rural populations. In C. Winters (Ed.) Rural nursing: Concepts, theory and practice (5th ed.). New York, NY: Springer.
- Efendi, F., Kep, S., Purwaningsih, S., Kurniati, A, & Bushy, A. (2014). What do Indonesian nurses want? Retaining nurses in rural and remote areas of Indonesia. Online International Journal of Rural Nursing, 14(2), 32-42.
- Weinstein, P., Amirkhosravi, A., Angelopoulos, T.J., Bushy, A., Covelli, M., & Dennis, K. (2014). Reducing cardiovascular risk in women with lupus: Perception of risk and predictors of risk-reducing behaviors. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 29(2), 130-139.
- Family and Community Health
- Journal of Nursing Quality Care
- Online Journal of Rural Nursing and Health Care
- American Academy of Nursing
- American Nurses Association
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- Association of Community Health Nursing (ACHNE), President 2012-14
- International Rural Nursing Organization (RNO)
- National Rural Health Association (NRHA)
- Sigma Theta Tau International